Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fried Chicken


I don’t know about other places, but here in the southeast, fried chicken is a staple.  Of course with all the health conscious people around nowadays, baked and grilled chicken are coming on strong.  And I love those as well, but when I was growing up, there was one occasion where we always had fried chicken.  Birthdays? Nope.  Anniversaries? Nope. Weddings? Nope.  When the preacher came over to eat? YES!!!

When the preacher and his family came over to my grandparent’s house to eat, nothing was held back.  Their table was covered in food, which included a couple of platters loaded with fried chicken!!  Great memories!  Great fried chicken!  We all couldn’t wait for the preacher to say, “Amen” so we could dig in.  But I realized something as I grew older.  The only time we prayed over our food was when the preacher was visiting.

       “Pray without ceasing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NKJV)

It’s a short verse that is packed with so much. We are to be in continuous prayer.  Easier said than done?  Maybe, maybe not.  Praying should be a joyous habit and not a task that we do just when we’re around other Christians or we are in church.  The more we do it, the more it will become like a second nature.  I’m going to do one right now for each one of you.  “Dear Lord, please bless each person reading this blog with the peace and joy only you can give.  And, please bless them with a piece of southern fried chicken. Amen.”


1 comment:

  1. Good ol' fried chicken - around my house we call it the Baptist bird. My husband who is a pastor says that the second favorite thing that Baptists eat on Sunday is fried preacher!

    ReplyDelete