Monday, September 24, 2012

Spit Bath

     Aw, the joys of childhood. We have those wonderful moments we will never forget no matter how hard we try. Mine is my mother’s Spit Bath. Yeah, you heard me right, Spit Bath. If we were out somewhere like church or the store, I got them quite frequently. I was a tomboy and I got stuff on my face all the time. It drove my mother crazy. She’d make me sit still while she spit on a Kleenex and wiped my face off. I call it stuff because it could have been anything from dirt to chocolate. There were a couple of times my mother couldn’t figure what I had gotten into. I liked to think of that as a special talent. J

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9 (NIV)
     Sin is like that stuff I used to get on my face. Whether you can see it or not, everybody else can. It’s not very becoming; in fact, it takes away from you. Who wants to look at a nasty face? Here’s the really bad part: No amount of scrubbing or soap will get rid of it. The only One who can is Jesus. Unlike the spit baths from my mother, you have to ask Jesus to cleanse you. All you have to do is confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. Fortunately for us, He doesn’t have to spit on a Kleenex first to do it.
***
Fun info!!
Did you know that Jesus used to use spit to heal? Check these verses in Mark out:
After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man’s ears. Then he spit and touched the man’s tongue. He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, “Ephphatha!” (which means “Be opened!”). Mark 7:33-34 (NIV)
They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?” Mark 8:22-23 (NIV)
*Special thank you to my friend and Coworker Susan Bradley for remembering these spit verses.

1 comment:

  1. Great take on the good ol' spit bath.
    Mom's spit bath wasn't too enjoyable, and I suppose the ones from Jesus aren't either but necessary.

    ReplyDelete