Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bull Ring

Coming soon: a special blog about my friend Paula Mowery's new book, "Blessed Seer."

I love big hoop earrings, but I wouldn’t want one in my nose.  Growing up on my grandfather’s farm, I saw lots of cows and bulls with rings in their noses.  I always thought they looked uncomfortable, but the animals didn’t seem to mind. Guess they got used to them.  I watched my grandfather and uncle gently tug on the rings to lead the cattle to where they wanted them to go.  I was glad God didn’t make me a cow, but you don’t have to be a cow to have a ring in your nose.
Let me give an example.  I was raised in church and I can remember, as a child, hearing some sermons that I didn’t understand. Don’t misunderstand me here. I was not saying the preacher was wrong.  I just wanted somebody to be able to explain it so I could better understand. I first asked my mother, but she wasn’t sure herself.  But when I asked my grandparents, the only answer I would get was, “The preacher said it!”  Then they got mad at me and refused to discuss it any further.  Who has the ring in their nose now?
“Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men.” Acts 17:11-12 (NIV)
The Berean Jews didn’t doubt Paul nor did they say he was wrong.  They simply referred to their Scriptures to make sure he was preaching the truth.  There’s nothing wrong with that; in fact, I think it should be practiced more.  Whether it be from a preacher, bible teacher, Sunday school teacher, or friend, if you hear something being taught that you’re unsure about, look it up in the bible yourself. Pray for God to open up His truth about it. You may learn more than you planned on. If you notice, Paul didn’t seem to get offended.  As a result, “many of them believed.” 
Personally, I think preachers have a difficult job.  We need to give them and their families our prayers and support. In fact, this is true for all church workers from nursery workers to Sunday school teachers. But remember, if you have your nose in your bible, then you don’t have to worry about somebody else putting a ring in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment