Friday, May 17, 2013

Flowers and a Grape Nehi

            On May 8th, 1982, Tim and I had our first date and we’ve been together ever since.  I want to commensurate that occasion with a sweet story. 
            We had been married about 3 years when Tim came in from work one day with a surprise for me.  He asked me to close my eyes and hold out my hands.  What he placed in my hands meant the world to me.  It was a grape Nehi can full of beautiful little pink and purple flowers. At that point, I realized just how much I was on his mind and in his heart.
            Tim used to work next to a railroad track.  On this fateful day, he noticed the beautiful little flowers growing next to the track and thought of me.  He picked them, but he knew he needed to put them in something.  The only thing he had was an empty grape Nehi can.  So he cut the top off, cleaned it, and put water and the flowers in it.
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” Ephesians 5:25 (NIV)
            He could have shrugged and walked away. He could have picked up the phone and called a florist.  But he didn’t.  He loved me enough to take the time to pick the flowers especially for me.  You see, it’s not the big things that really matter, but the little thoughtful things.  The little things that say, “I love you and I’m always thinking of you.”  What “little thing” have you done for somebody you love?  It may mean the world to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment