Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hot Rods and Spaceships


Who doesn’t love a cool hot rod? Come on now, admit it. When you see one driving down the street, don’t you have to look? I do and I’m not a car fanatic, but my husband Tim is one. I don’t know how many car shows we’ve been to over the years or how many times he has slowed the car down so he could listen to the sound of a car or a truck going by. He’ll even turn down the radio. I don’t mind unless it’s a song I like.

As much as I am not interested in cars or most other vehicles, I love my husband more. I’ll put up with the cars, the races, the tractor pulls, and the slowing down because all that stuff makes him happy. And you know what? It’s a two way street. Tim has set through many Star Trek movies without complaint. And I just recently found out he can’t stand Captain Kirk. But he does like Captain Picard.

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.” Philippians 2:3 (NIV)


When you truly love somebody else, their happiness is more important than yours. Their safety and wellbeing are also more important than yours as well. That is also why Jesus went on to the cross. We were more important to Him than His self. To continue His work, we as Christians should value other people above ourselves, even strangers. This verse doesn’t say, “Just the others you know.” It means everybody, even if you have to be around hot rods and spaceships. J

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Brook! This is very true. When we do something to make another person happy, it also comes back on us in the form of happiness as well.

    ReplyDelete