Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wind's Aria


I am very honored to have my friend Tessa Stockton on blog.  She's been a dear friend of mine for a few years now.  She is an elegant lady and talents writer.  Please read about her latest book: "Wind's Aria." 



1) How did you know God called you to be a writer?
I’ve always wanted to write, have always busied my hand at writing something. I sought freelance work and publication over the years. Unfortunately, it can be a bang-your-head-against-the-wall type of endeavor, especially in fiction. There were two times in my writing venture when discouragement caused me to walk away. Yet even when I had quit, I couldn’t escape. It was as if there was a perpetual nudge that said, “Now, now, you’re being childish and impatient. Go and get back to it!” You know it’s a calling when you let go of it but it doesn’t let go of you.

2) What gave you the idea for Wind’s Aria? 

My head is often in the clouds. I’ve always daydreamed or fantasized from childhood on. Music brings about resplendent images for me. I used to work as a choreographer. I was trained, and it was also very natural for me, to see things in my mind when I listened to music, and then transfer them to dancers to create a living, moving painting, so to speak. I find this process works the same for me in writing. While listening to Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings one day, the music inspired and breathed life into what is now Wind’s Aria.

3) There seems to be a musical undertone to Wind’s Aria, hence the name Aria. Do you mind to discuss that? 
Aria is the name of the chosen Songstress of her world. As long as she sings each morning, peace and abundant life belong to her people. Her voice is vital to existence. I come from a very musical family. I can’t imagine life otherwise. Therefore, I think just about everything I write in the fantasy genre is influenced by music. My mother was a classical vocalist. I, too, had several years of classical voice training. In fact, I had been indecisive at one point on whether to pursue the opera world as a mezzo soprano or dance. While dance won the toss, opera is still something I cherish.
4) How different or challenging is it to write a romance in a fantasy world?
It’s different in that there really are no rules. And I love that. It’s incredibly freeing to let creativity flow and not worry about research or structure or how boy-meets-girl, as most genres require. Fantasy is as made-up as you can get. Imagination rules the gamut, not format. The most challenging is shutting everything out while I write. Out of all the genres I venture in, fantasy, in its magical, romantic, colorful realms, is the most difficult to enter in and linger if there’s a lot of noise, or distractions. But that’s just me.






Blurb
Elected as the Songstress, Aria takes her place on the sacred platform to sing before every dawn. As long as she does so, peace and abundant life belong to her people. One morning, amidst a strange wind that brings with it a curse in its eerie howl, Aria loses her ability to make music. But the encroaching death that transpires isn’t her biggest tragedy. It’s that she adores the cause of her blunder, for he’s a magnificent winged creature who’s stolen more than her voice.



Excerpt One:
“Who are you?”
He pushed further back into the shadows as she strode closer. “Someone you need not know.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
When he didn’t answer, she sighed.
“What a strange, terrible day,” she mumbled. “Well, at least tell me your name . . .”
He stood, speechless, knowing he shouldn’t be there at all—conversing with a Meleyan—especially not their musical deliverer that he was set to doom the day after tomorrow.
A peculiar grumbling interrupted her insistence, to his relief.
“Sorry.” She patted her stomach. He could see, even in the blackened night, how her face turned a deeper shade of red than her hair. “I’ve forgotten to eat. I guess I’m hungrier than I realized.”
He plucked an apple from the tree he’d nearly become a part of and held it out to her. The girl approached tentatively. She reached for the fruit but recoiled when her fingers brushed his.
“Is touching me so horrible?” he asked.
Her jaw dropped open and her delicate brow furrowed. She inclined her head. “It . . . hurt.”
“How?” he asked, for her fingers felt good to him, soothing. Warm. He wanted to try again.
“I don’t know how to explain . . .”
“Hum.” Unsatisfied with the answer, he tossed the apple to her and watched as she crunched her teeth into it.



Bio:
Tessa is a veteran of the performing arts and worldwide missions, having come from a long line of musical arts professionals. She loved seeing the world and absorbing the beauty of other cultures . . . an enriching life full of dance, music, faith, and interesting cuisine. Over the years, she also contributed as a writer/editor for ministry publications, ghostwriter for political content, and headed a column on the topic of forgiveness. Today, she writes romance and intrigue novels in a variety of genres.

Social Media links:
www.TessaStockton.com
https://www.facebook.com/tessastockton
http://twitter.com/TessaStockton
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tessa-stockton/29/553/222
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4639560.Tessa_Stockton

Purchase Links - Wind’s Aria:
Soul Mate Publishing: http://www.soulmatepublishing.com/winds-aria/

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Winds-Aria-ebook/dp/B00B1FEC2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358964244&sr=8-1&keywords=wind%27s+Aria

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/winds-aria-tessa-stockton/1114146612?ean=2940016000206

1 comment:

  1. This happens to be my last stop on the Wind's Aria publicity tour, so it's extra special that it's on the site of a very dear friend. Thanks, Brooksie. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete