Thursday, April 19, 2012

There's a Bug in Your Hair

            You ever notice something unusual and have to look twice?  I did at a baseball game and it wasn’t a triple play or a foul ball bouncing off somebody’s head. There was a lady sitting in front of me who had a head full of stiff backcombed hair.  When the wind blew, it didn’t move. I noticed something moving around on the top of her hair, so I leaned up for a closer look.
I’m not an entomologist, but I know I bug when I see one.  It was long and black.  I had to do something, but I didn’t want her to panic and scream.  So, I tapped her husband on the shoulder.  My plan was to point at the bug when he turned around.  That way he could get it before she had time to come unglued. I waited, but her husband didn’t turn around or respond in any matter. So I tapped him harder. Nothing.  He didn’t even turn his head around to see who was tapping him.
If I had a bug crawling around in my hair, I would want to know so I could get it out before it got to my scalp.  So I leaned up and told the lady, “There’s a bug in your hair.”  Give you one guess what happened next?  She started screaming and shaking her head.  She leaned her head over to her husband yelling at him to, “Get it!” The more she frantic she became, the more the bug burrowed down toward her scalp.  I sat there and watched it.  Her husband grabbed at the bug, but it kept getting away from him.  He told her he got it, but it didn’t look like that to me or the other people sitting around me.
            My first thought on the bug was temptation and sin. 
“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41 (NIV).
            It’s best to avoid temptation, but it can sneak up on you and, like that bug, be in your hair before you know it.  You need to get rid of it before it digs in and becomes a sin or possibly an addiction.  The deeper it goes, the harder it is to get a hold of it.  And don’t rely on somebody to get rid of it for you. 
“Submit yourselves, then, go to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”  James 4:7 (NIV)
I have no doubt that my husband Tim wouldn’t have stopped until he had that bug.  Yes, he does love me, but he wouldn’t want it crawling over to him later.  You got a bug?  Get rid of it now before it gets too comfortable and has more little bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment