Thursday, March 29, 2012

BANG

Bang!  No I’m not talking about fireworks or artillery.  This time I’m actually talking about a prayful experience I had while driving through Atlanta a few years ago.  Prayful?  I know it’s not a real word, but I don’t know how else to describe it.
My stepfather has 3 children who live with their families in Ormond by the Sea, Florida.  He and mom go down to visit them twice a year.  When we can, my husband, daughter, and myself like to go too.            
On this particular trip, we were driving on the outskirts of Atlanta on the interstate in 12 lanes of traffic-6 each way.  It was a nice October day and the traffic was heavy but not bad.  Most people were driving around 65 to 80 mph.  We were driving in a middle lane behind my mom and stepfather and our daughter who was riding with them.  
Out of nowhere, a thought pops into my head.  I had forgotten to pray for a safe trip before we left that morning.  You know how hectic it is before you leave on a long trip.  Is everything packed and in the car?  Is everything turned off and locked up?
So I said a silent prayer.  I don’t remember my exact words.  I probably prayed for God to be with us and protect us, and of course, to thank Him for Jesus.
            As soon as I said “Amen,” I heard an explosion, BANG! to our right.  I saw large pieces of black things flying around us.  That’s when my husband yelled, “Hang on!”  A tractor trailer right beside us had a tire that exploded, hurling pieces across the interstate.  It was as if the tire was waiting for me to say, “Amen” before it blew.
            I was terrified when I saw a huge piece of tire hit the front of my mother’s car where my daughter was riding.  I said another quick prayer.  I didn’t care about my safety as I did hers.   Then my husband had to veer around the same large piece as it flew back to us. At the same time the cars around us were swerving in all directions to avoid pieces of the tire as well as each other. Looking back, it was as if the cars were playing a dangerous game of Tag.
            In a few seconds, it was over.  Amazingly nobody lost control of their car or hit another one.  Not only did the truck driver manage to keep his truck under control, he also managed to pull across two lanes of traffic to the shoulder without hitting another car.  I believe God literally had His hand on the situation.  I have often wondered what would have happened if I hadn’t prayed.   
     “Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV.
            It’s hard in our busy world today to stop and pray, much less do it continually.  The only things I can do continually are breath and eat.  Maybe prayer should be more like breathing and be a second nature to us instead of a scheduled task.  We don’t breathe-we suffocate physically.  We don’t pray-we suffocate spiritually.
     My prayer is for God’s protection to be with you today, especially if you’re on the interstate.

4 comments:

  1. So true. I wonder how often God has kept us safe and we weren't even aware of it. I think we can stay in an attitude of prayer - keeping the line open. In the world we live in, we need to pray without ceasing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of prayer being like breathing - that everything we do is bathed in and couched in an attitude of prayer. So important! And so important to be obedient when the Spirit nudges us to pray!

    You're off to a great start with your blog! I just started blogging last May and I'm learning a lot. I'm also enjoying it very much and it helps me to focus my thoughts when I know I'll be sharing them with others. I know your readers will be blessed. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the world of blogging, Brooksie. Great message in your story.

    Love your name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooksie, congrats on your new, fun blog! Like your comments on prayer very much.

    ReplyDelete