Monday, July 16, 2012

Green Eyed Monster

The green eyed monster is one that everybody believes in.  You don’t have to set traps for it or try to track it down.  It’s everywhere and it bites everybody!
It bit me hard a few years ago during a women’s bible study.  One of the ladies (and a friend) gave a beautiful and touching prayer testimony. God told her to spend a whole day worshiping Him with her prayers and not to ask for anything.  She shared how much God had blessed her and how uplifting the experience was. 
“He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” Luke 11:28 (NIV)
The green eyed monster dug its teeth in deep.  My first thought was, “God, I pray too and you’ve never told me to spend prayer time in worship with you.” I felt slighted.   Why didn’t He ask me to spend a day in worship with him like that?  That thought bothered me for days.  I couldn’t carry the heavy load any longer, so I went to my place of solace; the corner of the bedroom.  I literally cried out, “You know my heart God.  I’m not going to hide it from you because I can’t!  I’m being petty and I know it, so here it is!” Now you can’t pray a prayer like that and not expect God to respond in a BIG way.        
After my temper tantrum, I was sitting at the computer and writing. The house was unusually quiet.  Suddenly this still small voice boomed in my head, “THIS IS HOW YOU ARE TO WORSHIP ME!”  I almost fell out of the chair. My friend worshiped when she prayed.  I worship when I write.
“God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in the Spirit and in Truth.” John 4:24 (NIV)
 Worship isn’t limited to being in a church building or doing certain rituals.  God will tell you how He wants you to worship Him. Whatever it is, do it “in the Spirit and in Truth.”  Then I bet your blessing will be (as we say in the south) a real humdinger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment